free counter statistics

Saturday, October 15, 2005

We got our feet wet and are now ready to move on.

Our second book will be The World is Flat: A Brief History of the 21st Century by Thomas L. Friedman, available from Amazon for $10.88 in paperback. This is one of those books that you hear about one day and then hear about it again three times the next week. I first heard about it from a neighbor who works in the university system’s Chancellor’s office. This was a book that the New Hampshire University System Board of Trustees chose to read and discuss as a group. It was also the book mentioned by former governor of Maine, Angus King, in Bob Sprankle’s podcast, by David Warlick at the NHSTE Annual dinner and finally by Cyndi Dunlap. Now seems to be the time.

Here is how you can participate. If you just want to hum along, just read. Chris Hunewell just gave me some tips on counters for the blog so at least I won't feel so alone. If you would like to contribute, log in and make a comment. If you would be willing to post, just email me at dboisvert@SAU53.org and I will set you up. I would love to have more people posting, so that we can get more conversation going and so that I don’t feel guilty if I don’t post every week. Feel free to contribute whatever strikes you. I would love to see reviews of articles, children’s and young adult titles and recommendations and reviews of other books - whatever is on your mind. My goal is for my first post to be next weekend. Now, if I could only find a way to blog my laundry.

1 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

I have started this book twice...and found myself reading and rereading the same parts over and over because it was so fascinating. So much to take in!! As much as I wanted to just sit down and read from cover to cover, finding the time was not easy. So I finally bought a copy from audible.com and have been listening every chance I get. What an amazingly different world our students are growing up in!

In August I blogged this on Techjaki: the author, Thomas Friedman, discussed globalization and this book in May as a part of Minnesota Public Radio's Think Global series. You can hear Friedman's talk here. At the end of it, Friedman takes the question of a freshman in high school who wants to know what courses to take to prepare for a career in this global economy. Friedman's advises the kid to take the classes of the teachers who inspire students to learn, since continued learning is what's going to be most crucial in his adult life. I think of that every time I walk into a school...

Thanks, Deb, for offering a forum for discussion of this book.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home